Contact
Mike Over
(+44) (0)8456 040845

sponsor logos
Website design and build by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. and Taliesin Communications

Egryn Hall House

4 miles north of Barmouth, Wales

People have been living at Egryn for over 6,000 years with many manmade structures such as prehistoric burial chambers found all over the Estate. The main house has been lived in for the last 500 years with each generation making changes as necessary.

The National Trust owned Egryn Hall House
The National Trust owned Egryn Hall House


Egryn or Plas yn Egryn was first built in 1507 - 1510 and was a fine example of an aisle truss hall house with its walls reaching from the ground without interruption up to the decorated beams of the roof. There was no 'upstairs', simply an open room and a central hearth heated the entire building with smoke rising up freely, staining the beams the dark colour which can be seen now.

At around 1615 - 1618 a floor was constructed across the open hall to make room for their expanding family, and a second house was built close by.

In the late 1840s the house and land at Egryn was sold for the first time after previously being passed from generation to generation and over the next 160 years became a home to families from various walks of life.

The Carson family were the first to buy Egryn and lived there for some 40 years. It was about this time the East Wing of the original hall house was removed and the contemporary extension built as a striking contrast to the exterior of the old hall house.

In 1964 Mrs Ruby Bryne bought Egryn and moved to the house with her 11 year old son Rodney and they employed a farm manager to ensure the farm was running smoothly. She passed away in 1989 and for the following 11 years her son Rodney filled Egryn with the many and varied collections which were his passion. These consisted of 26 tractors, 11 other wheeled vehicles, various spare tyres, car parts and thousands of lamps. After he passed away an auction was held to sell many of these objects and such was the fame of his collections that people from all over Europe came to the sale.

In the year 2000 Mr Byrne passed away and bequeathed the Egryn estate to the National Trust, and in 2006 they began a full programme of restoration work on the main house using a local builder.

The layers are peeled back
The layers are peeled back


Over a 15 month period they painstakingly peeled back the layers of history and restored the house to the beautiful condition it can now be seen in (June 2007). With local donations restoration work has also been carried out on some of the outbuildings.

Restoration underway
Restoration underway


The National Trust is a charity and completely independent of Government and works to preserve and protect the coastline, countryside and buildings of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Trust invests over £160 million a year in the Nation's environmental infrastructure by working with over 40,000 companies, including 2000 specialist conservation businesses.

Restored beams at Egryn Hall
Restored beams at Egryn Hall


Click here for further information on the National Trust

The aim over the next 15 years is to restore the second house which is called 'The Old House' which has its chimney in a very precarious position, but the roof is sound as well as the other outbuildings and made into Self-Contained units which the trust will rent out so as to get some sort of return on its capital investment and give people a chance to live, if only for a short time, in what can only be described as a very atmospheric place.